Through the sheer aesthetic force of its discoveries, the Hubble distilled the complex abstractions of astrophysics into singular expressions of color and light.Ross Anderson’s on deep field photographs
I loved too fiercely,Haiku on Self-Sabotage
while you couldn’t feel at all.
And it ruined me.
Know your worth - When someone treats you like you’re just one of many options, help them narrow their choice by removing yourself from their equation. Sometimes you have to try not to care, no matter how much you do. Because sometimes you can mean almost nothing to someone who means so much to you. It’s not pride - it’s self respect. Don’t expect to see positive changes in your life if you surround yourself with negative people. Don’t give part-time people a full-time position in your life. Know your value and what you have to offer, and never settle for anything less than what you deserve.
I have been too deeply conscious of the mutability and evanescence of temporal things, to give any continuous effort to anything—to be consistent in anything. My life has been whim—impulse—passion—a longing for solitude—a scorn of all things present, in an earnest desire for the future.Edgar Allan Poe, from The Collected Letters Of Edgar Allan Poe
The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pendants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain.Ursula K. Le Guin
I want to taste and glory in each day, and never be afraid to experience pain; and never shut myself up in a numb core of nonfeeling, or stop questioning and criticizing life and take the easy way out. To learn and think: to think and live; to live and learn: this always, with new insight, new understanding, and new love.Sylvia Plath
1. Suffering doesn’t prove that you know what it means to care about yourself or others. What it does prove is you haven’t seen through your own ideas about caring or you wouldn’t be so careless with yourself.
2. Suffering doesn’t prove that you are right. What it does prove is you don’t really know right from wrong or you wouldn’t take your position of pain as your proof of point.
3. Suffering doesn’t prove that you are responsible. What it does prove is you have abandoned true self-responsibility or you wouldn’t treat yourself so badly.
4. Suffering doesn’t prove that you are important. What it does prove is you would rather feel like a “someone” who is miserable than be a “no one” who is free and quietly happy.
5. Suffering doesn’t prove that you are all alone in life. What it does prove is you prefer the company of unfriendly thoughts and feelings whose very nature is to isolate you from everything good.
6. Suffering doesn’t prove that the world is against you. What it does prove is you have taken sides with that which is against everything — including yourself.
7. Suffering doesn’t prove that you are real. What it does prove is you have identified with an agitated false feeling of life and confused it for the quiet fullness of real living.
8. Suffering doesn’t prove that someone else is wrong. What it does prove is you will go to any lengths, including self-destruction, to prove that you are right.
9. Suffering doesn’t prove that you are who you think you are. What it does prove is you don’t know who you really are or you would never tolerate a suffering self as an identity.
10. Suffering over your suffering doesn’t prove you want to stop suffering. What it does prove is you are afraid of the end of suffering because you think the end of it means the end of you. It does not.